I've been reading more lately.
I remember when I was younger, with more free time, reading everything in sight. Books, magazines, newspapers, the backs of cereal boxes. My father would lecture me about not reading while I was eating, not reading if the light wasn't good, not reading if my homework wasn't done. Granted, I wasn't always reading the Great American novel. My paperback Babysitters Club books were tattered messes by the time my mother finally gave them away to charity (and I was very upset with her ... yes, I know I was 20).
Maybe it's the election. Or the economy. Or any of the myriad issues that seem more pronounced now than they ever have. Maybe it's because things are worse than they have been in a while ... certainly than they have been in my lifetime. Or maybe it's because I'm a "grown-up" now. Because things like health care and social security and gas prices and tuition remission programs are of actual consequence to me. My ideologies are beginning to shift, I think, because I can no longer afford to be so idealistic ... which is sad.
Most people, I think, would assume I'm a Republican. I'm not registered as one. I'm not registered as a Democrat, either. I pretty much believe that American political parties, in their current incarnations, are the root of all evil, so I'm not really that desperate to cast my line into either fish hole.
I really like that series on NPR, This I Believe. I've been trying to write an essay to submit. I think I believe too much. Blind faith and naivete have gotten me into trouble more than once.
There are some things I am hard and fast on: life is life. That means no abortions and no death penalty. There wouldn't be such an issue with illegal immigrants if America was a little more welcoming to people from other countries. Gay couples who "marry" should have the same rights under the law as heterosexual couples who marry ... but "marriage" is a sacramental and religious term.
There are some things I believe but have no idea about. Everyone, in my opinion, should have access to comprehensive, affordable, healthcare. I think this is a gigantic task. People who work hard and make money should not have to surrender 25% of it to the government. But, people in the middle class should not have their taxes raised for the benefit of the upper class. Social security is a failing system and should be privatized for the majority of citizens.
Know what I hate about politics? The double-standards. Barack Obama can do something, and the people who support him are perfectly okay with it. The next day, John McCain or Sarah Palin do the same thing, and they've destroyed the sanctity of America. Or vice versa.
You know what people need to do if they want to elect the best president? Get their heads out of their asses and open their eyes. Use your head ... not your emotion. Logic, not passion. Concrete plans, not impassioned speeches.
Talk is cheap.
So, I'll keep reading. Maybe I'll figure out who to vote for. And, I'll be a more regular contributer in this space. I hope you'll keep reading, too.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment