How is your world?

on Monday, June 05, 2006

It's hard to find time to update your blog when you have a real job. But it's funny how you can make time when you're avoiding cleaning out your closet.

My boss asked me how my world was the other day.

How is my world?

I guess a little better than it was last week. Things at St. John's seem to be quieting down a little bit. They named a new pastor this weekend and for now, Fr. Mike remains. I hope this new priest will be good for St. John's. I can't help but wonder where Fr. Jude is, what he's doing, what he's thinking. Is he sorry? Is he scared?

I went to see the Yankees at Camden Yards this weekend -- twice. Friday night all my friends and I went. We sat in the upper deck with all the drunk crazy fans. That is one way to watch a baseball game. Then Saturday, my friend Diana and I went and sat in the Brooks Robinson Party Suite where stadium attendants wheeled around dessert carts and the hallways were carpeted. That's another way to watch a baseball game. The Yankees even won both games -- and they were great games. Both came down to the last Yankee at-bats.

It's June -- that means Kyle is leaving in three months. That makes me upset, so I try not to think about it. I honestly don't know what I'm going to do without Kyle for two and a half years. And though I'm excited for him, and I know the Peace Corps will be an amazing experience, part of me wishes he would call me tomorrow and tell me he's changed his mind -- that he's not going.

Kelly is interviewing for a job in D.C. this week. I hope she takes it because I would love to have her close by. I think in a lot of ways, Kelly and I are closer now than we ever were -- even in high school. And that's really good. Because I love my boys, but everybody needs a best girl friend. And Kelly knows me so well -- she sees through all my bullshit.

I've been in Baltimore for four months. Seems longer than that, somehow. I think finally, with my job settled, I can start to get comfortable. Get into a routine, start doing more things. Without the stress of job-hunting, I think life will be more enjoyable.

I really like my job so far. I'm starting to get the hang of things. Everyone seems to like me and think I'm doing a good job. So, yay :)

Coach is coming down for a clinic in Towson next week, so I hope I get a chance to see her while she's here. I miss her. I missed her while I was in college, but I think after spending every afternoon with her last fall, I got used to her being around again. Coach is one of those people whose mere presence makes me smile.

I miss Kevin & Erik too. You know, when I started going to Fitness Together, I never really thought that I would gain two great friends in the process. I called them last week just to say hi. Erik was with a client, but Kevin and I talked for awhile -- not about working out, just about stuff going on.

And I miss my family. I wish I could go see my brother Brian play lacrosse. I wish I could have been home for my Dad's birthday a couple weeks ago. It's going to be harder to go home now that I'm working, but hopefully I'll get back to Darien soon. I'd really like to see my grandmother, but I don't know when I'll be able to do that.

Life is ... challenging. You don't always get to do what you want. Things don't always turn out the way you'd hoped. I guess it's all about how you handle the curveballs.

I feel like I've been fielding a lot of them lately. Some of them cleanly. Some of them not so cleanly. But, everyday is a new opportunity to make a sparkling play.

How is my world?

New and different. Disappointing and challenging. Satisfying and inspiring. Always changing. Always promising.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even though I've been in Austin for almost a year now (holy shit), I feel like I'm in a similar place, life-wise. I'm just now settling down, actually recognizing that I've made some friends (haven't found that new good girlfriend yet, though, which is sad... hockey and engineering means pretty much just all dudes).

Without classes this summer, I get to work during the day and just relax at night (although motivation is impossible to find right now; my apt is a mess!).

I just found a new apartment into which I will move in mid-July. I'll finally be living by myself, which is nice, but also terrifying. I'm really psyched at the idea of NOT moving every summer after this.

I miss home, though, but at the same time, I don't. I miss people, and little specifics, but I don't miss the bullshit that is Darien (but perhaps I'm not paying attention to the bullshit that is Austin). I am jealous of you and Kelly and everyone for whom home is a short drive/flight/train ride away. I learned in October that a four-plus hour flight isn't worth it for a 48-hour trip.

I have found myself talking to people more through writing - even in dumb places like myspace, but also on livejournal and through email. It's nice to stay caught up, so when you actually talk or hang out, you can just pick up where you left off.

Anyway, I'll stop babbling in your comments section. Have a great week! It's in the 90s here... oy.