I got a job! I got a job! I got a job! I got a job! I got a job! I got a job!
And just think, it only took me (almost exactly) one year after graduating college to get it.
I'm so excited. The president of the company called me yesterday morning and said, "We interviewed some other candidates as well and ... "
And I was so ready for the end of that sentence to be: " ... and we've decided to go with someone with a little more experience."
But that wasn't the end of the sentence! The end of the sentence was: "and we think you're the best person for the job."
Um ... what? I almost screamed in the poor woman's ear. In fact, I'm pretty sure she told me some important things during the rest of our conversation -- like my salary and something about benefits, but I'm hoping those will be detailed in the offer letter because I didn't hear a word she said after "we'd like to offer you the position."
And when I hung up I sat in my car in the parking lot of the Fitness and Aquatic Center and said "Oh My God!" for approximately the next three minutes. Just "Oh My God!" over and over again. In different tones, with different inflections, sometimes with some variation a la "Oh My God, I have a job!"
I'm so excited. It's such a cool company. The job itself is fine, but the thing that's appealing about it is that it's a gateway position. Everybody who starts with this company starts in this job, but you grow quickly, and you get to choose which way you'd like to go.
I'm just so relieved to have the opportunity to show somebody that I'm capable and enthusiastic and that I'll work hard and do a good job.
My official title is "Communication Specialist" at a publishing company in Hampden (a really cool, artsy part of Baltimore -- and right down the street from my apartment) called Monotype. They publish textbooks and other educational materials, so it's definitely a noble calling -- something else that was appealing. If you want, their website is www.monotype.net.
The company has four divisions: editorial, design, production and project management. I'll get to do a little bit with all of them and then decide which one I'd like to advance into. I'm excited -- I'll get to write and do some other stuff that I'm actually interested in. I feel good because it's a job I wanted, not just one I was willing to settle for because I couldn't find anything else. And the company is cool -- lots of young people.
So I start Monday (yikes!). And I'm just so happy that I don't have to send out any more resumes or go on any more interviews for awhile.
One year later, welcome to the real world.
But you know what, I wouldn't change what this year has meant. If you told me I could have had a job when I walked out the doors of Loyola last May but I wouldn't have been able to do all the things I did this year, I don't think I'd take that.
I did some great things this year -- for myself, for others. I grew up a lot. I charted a new path.
Now it's time to start moving down it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Yay! Congrats!!
Post a Comment