Okay, this isn't the first time I've thrown a fit about this, and I'm sure it won't be the last. But, seeing as I seem to take my life into my hands every time there's a thunderstorm and I need to cross Northern Parkway, let's review.
From the Maryland Motor Vehicle Department Driver's Manual:
Traffic control signals inoperative
125.1 (1) The driver of a vehicle approaching an intersection that has traffic control signals that are inoperative must stop before entering the intersection.
(2) If 2 vehicles have come to a stop at an intersection described in subsection (1) from different highways at approximately the same time, the driver of a vehicle must yield the right of way to the vehicle that is on the right of the vehicle that he or she is driving, but if one of the vehicles is already entering the intersection, the driver of the other vehicle must stop and yield the right of way to the entering vehicle while it is proceeding into or across the intersection.
At four-way intersections where a traffic signal has failed, treat it as a four-way stop. Once stopped, Maryland State Police say, drivers are required to yield the right of way to the vehicle approaching from the right.
I am not exactly sure where the confusion is here. Just because the light that you normally sit at for 10 minutes on your commute every morning is suddenly not working, it doesn't mean you can fly through it at high speeds without regard for the other 3 cars simultaneously approaching the intersection.
I think people should have mandatory driver's retraining every 10 years. Everyone should have to take (and pass) their driver's test again. Hell, maybe they should make you take the test again every time you want to renew your license. I mean, think of all the things we make people re-certify for that have far less deadly consequences than reckless driving.
More than 400,000 people die from Motor Vehicle-related accidents in the United States every year.
Drive safely people.
And for God's sake ... treat flashing lights at intersections as 4-way stops.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment