I used this J.R.R. Tolkein poem in my senior yearbook entry in high school. It was as appropriate then as it is now. It seems to me that we may never know exactly where we are heading, where we will end up, or ultimately how long our journey will end up being. The road does go ever on and on until it joins some larger way ... whatever you might imagine that larger way to be.
The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.
There's a quote that's a favorite of mine: "Some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next. Delicious ambiguity."
For the original control freak herself, I find myself surprisingly okay with the uncertainty of it all.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment