Back to Baltimore

on Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Today is March 8th, 2006.

Six weeks ago, I was sitting in my parent's house in Darien, CT working at a small business management/accounting firm with five 40-somethings at various stages of their lives: married, married with children, newly married; happy, somewhat happy, miserable; stressed, extremely stressed, dangerously stressed.

And I thought to myself, I am 23 years old. This is not my life right now.

I haven't even been out of college for one year. I am young and beautiful and fabulous. I want to be in an environment with people my age. I want to go to happy hours on Fridays and concerts on Saturdays. I want to have people around me whose biggest concern is not their child's after-school sports schedule. Don't get me wrong, I will always hold a special, albeit unique, place in my heart for my hometown. But Darien is a place for married people with children. It has good schools and good sports and other good practical qualities.

I don't want to be practical.

I want to be a little bit reckless, and a little bit irresponsible (which, if you know me, doesn't happen very often). But maybe that's the point. It should happen. I don't want to think about the consequences of every little thing I do. I want to make mistakes and learn from them and take risks and grow from them. I don't want to ask my parent's opinion on every decision I make. I don't want to feel like I have to take other people's advice. I want to be a young, independent, free-willed, strong-spirited woman.

And so I packed up my life (after I just unpacked it after college, too) and I moved back to Baltimore. No job. No income. No idea.

Scary? Yes. Intimidating? Absolutely.

Did I freak out when I got my health insurance bill, my credit card bill, and my electric bill all on the same day? Of course I did. Does it make me incredibly anxious to see the balances in my bank accounts getting lower? Um, yup.

But I'm dealing. I'm looking for a job. I have faith that I will find one where I can be an intelligent, capable, driven 23-year-old. Right now, I'm temping. It's not my life career goal, but it's fine. It lets me pay for my rent, my gas, my gym membership and my food. No, I don't get to indulge in things at the moment, but that's life. It's probably a good thing that even though my ipod crapped out on me and I have nothing to listen to when I go running, I can't afford to spend $300 on a new one right now. If that's my biggest problem, I'm in pretty good shape.

There are things I do get out of the deal, like living in close proximity to some of my closest friends in the world or getting to go sit in Alumni Memorial Chapel anytime I want. I get to meet new people and discover new places. I get to have my own apartment and all the responsibilities that come with that. That's exciting.

So I'm clearly a little late on this blog thing, but that's okay. I'm not really good with timetables. I didn't graduate college with a job and a career and a plan. I still don't have those things. That's okay. Everyone has to march to the beat of their own drummer. I want to dance to mine.

I'm going to use this venue to write about whatever is on my mind. From how I feel about Nelly's new song (um, "Grillz"? What?) to Dana Reeve's death (tragedy really does not discriminate). Read, react, refute ... I welcome any and all feedback.

But this is me. Young and unconstrained. And Back in Baltimore.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

*waves*

Hey there. Nice start on the blog thing.

CEL in Pursuit said...

Fantastic. Welcome to the blogspot inner circle. I look forward to more entries!

Anonymous said...

Hey Laura! Good luck getting started in Baltimore! You can do it!

Anonymous said...

Woman- are you sure you are my sister? Just kidding- i love you and the blog (although I was looking forward to an entry about traffic and was disapointed) anywho- much love you're very cool, cute, fashionable, sassy---ok who are kidding- meg

Anonymous said...

Hey, this is terrific. You're definitely not in the wrong field.

Anonymous said...

Laura -

Couldn't love you any more if I tried.

Mommy

Anonymous said...

Looski!
Great stuff. I feel like there is some wierd role reversal going on. In the "good old days" (up to and including last week)I'd send you articles or editorials from the NYT or wherever. Now, rather than focus on sending you articles, I'm looking forward to reading your blog as if it was the editorial page. You may not be as funny as Maureen Dowd (yet), but the writing is better!

Love,
Daddy

Anonymous said...

Looski!
Great stuff. I feel like there is some wierd role reversal going on. In the "good old days" (up to and including last week)I'd send you articles or editorials from the NYT or wherever. Now, rather than focus on sending you articles, I'm looking forward to reading your blog as if it was the editorial page. You may not be as funny as Maureen Dowd (yet), but the writing is better!

Love,
Daddy

Anonymous said...

Hi Laura!
I like your site! You are a very good writer. You forgot however, to mention the stressed out thirty-something year old that you worked with!!! But your hit it right on the mark with the line "happy, somewhat happy, miserable; stressed, extremely stressed, dangerously stressed" How right you are my friend!

Any way this stressed out newly 33 year old hopes all is well, and I wanted you to know that you helped me out greatly by listening to me go on and on and on about stuff. So, care to math check any of my invoice summaries??????
Just Kidding.

Seriously, Hope all is well with you!

Sue